May 4, 2010

Bridesmaid Dresses

Tea-length. Bubblegum pink. Thicker straps. High waisted. These are the words that come to mind when I think of my dream bridesmaid dresses...

In the coming week or two, I am planning to take my girls shopping for their dresses! So, the dilemma comes in of either letting them all choose the same dress or, once again, straying away from the beaten path and letting them all choose different dresses.


(source)

VS.


(Aren't those purple dresses with the bows just delectable?! That silky fabric and huge bow make them so adorable!)

There are pro's and con's to both dress styles. Pro's of doing different dresses would be allowing the girls to pick out something that matches their body type and personality. It lets them know that hey, you are special because of who you are and aren't just here to be my back up dancer. Con's are that they wouldn't be the back up dancers if I so desired, photogenically speaking of course. Pro's of doing the same dresses would be that they are all uniform, traditional, and in a dress I'll obviously love! Con's would be that the dress might not be flattering on all of the girls and could end up ruining some photos, making them uncomfortable, etc.

The reason this is such a big deal for my girls and I is because I have one bridesmaid who is not only overweight but also states away -- all the way in NJ! It seems the easiest choice would be allowing the girls to pick out different dresses from the same retailer in the same color for something to tie them all in. However, is that what I want? Yes, I want to be somewhat accommodating and appreciative of my bridesmaids (they ARE my friends after all...) but am I sure that this "something different" in my wedding isn't going to be too much with my eclectic plates, different choice of reception venue, etc?

My bridesmaid in NJ has went to David's Bridal and also to a Dessy retailer. However all of the same sizes at Dessy were too small, and I'm not a fan of David's Bridal. So of course, she found something at David's Bridal that was nice to her. The problem is it wasn't for my wedding vision. My next step is to have her keep dress hunting and photo snapping for me while I take the other girls shopping around here to hopefully find the "bubblegum pink" dresses that I want and see what happens from there!

Did you go through this much bridesmaid dress dilemma? How did you decide to keep all the dresses the same -- or not? How did the bridesmaids, your family, or guests take the decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment