April 29, 2010

Drowning In Numbers

The other night we went over Tom's side of the family's guest list. We got a grand total, including children, of 228 people. My side should be about another 40 or so, plus our mutual friends. I always knew our wedding would be around 250 people but it's actually just hitting me now. It's easier to say that's how many people we are having than to actually start planning for it. My biggest challenge is dinnerware.

I know that I am making it more complicated and hard on myself by being anti all things catering, including china, but eclectic plates is what I want. To me, that's completely shabby chic and beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and I just know that people are either going to love or hate my vision.

Yesterday I went plate searching. I visited a Value Village, Goodwill, and Dollar Tree. All three were successful for me. However it is becoming abundantly clear that buying not only plates but also dessert plates, glass chalets, and silverware is more costly than I realized. At first I told everyone that it's about .99 cents to buy a plate verse .40 cents to rent a plate so after the fact we'd either keep these plates, donate and tax write them off, or just have a beautiful theme for our wedding it didn't seem like such a bad idea. Now, the price is really starting to add up. Most plates I'm finding are $1.99 which is doubling the already doubled cost! At this point though I do love my vision but it's becoming such a challenge and I'm literally drowning in the numbers - both financial costs and just how many more plates I still have to buy for 250 guests!

I will add pictures later tonight to show you guys my collection so far. :)

Would you nix the idea before I get half way done and lose out on more money, or push through the challenge to get to my ultimate vision? Should I just do catering all together and nix the homemade food idea, too? Ahh, somebody help!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment