April 26, 2010

Age Isn't Just A Number

(This post may be more on the rant side, so I apologize in advance. Although I feel a lot of you younger brides will be able to relate.)

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days. A few people in my fiance's family tend to be forgetting the golden rule: "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." Because of this, it has lead me to be anti-wedding planning for a few days. (Along with dealing with an overwhelming guest list...)


Anybody who knows me knows that I am the ultimate planner. I started researching and planning our wedding before we were even engaged. If it's clear that you will have a short engagement, I think it's a great idea to start figuring out all of the small details ahead of time so that it is as stress free and fun as possible. Seriously, I've thought of near everything needed for our outdoor reception...even bug spray!

Constructive criticism does not bother me. However, criticism and plain ol' judgment does. One comment I recently heard through the grapevine was, "Tom and Brittany are getting married? Oh come on, what are they-- 12 years old?"

As you can imagine, I was floored. A little angry, a little hurt, but mostly disgusted that someone would say this. Almost all of Tom's relatives have gotten married young (18-19 years old.) The cousin in particular who made this comment about us got married herself when she was 20 years old. For the record, Tom will be 20 when we are married and I will be 22 a MONTH after. We are young, yes, but not anything out of the ordinary especially for all of his family. Most everyone is happy for us, but the few who aren't have just overpowered in my head lately.

Age isn't just a number, though. That is a lesson I've learned now. People will still judge based on it and that is something I am going to have to accept. At the end of the day we know this is the right thing for us and over the years I'm sure there won't be anymore comments, but having people rain on my parade really stinks. It's people like his cousin that I'm not looking forward to having to invite to our wedding. Obviously she thinks we're too young (and apparently, age factors with immaturity...always?) and it'll just be a fake congratulations.

I am such a shy, intimate person that having a big wedding is fun, but scary for me. It bothers me I have to invite people that I've never met and Tom has only spoken to once or twice. It's our day and people shouldn't be there unless they are truly there for us. Just another thing I'm going to have to get used to.

When I marry into his family, it might be a shock but I'm willing to stand up for myself unlike a lot of the other sister-in-law's, etc. "This is just how it is in a big family" doesn't work for me. Hopefully, people will not be talking behind my back about my choices anymore and they will learn to come to me about my choices if they have an opinion on it. Otherwise, they need to follow the golden rule!

Did you experience any criticism based on you (or your fiance)'s age? How did you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment