April 13, 2010

Mr. and Mrs. Indecisive


It's only been three days since we've been engaged, and I'm already feeling some stress from planning. Our church ceremony will be in a Catholic church, but the biggest hurdle for us will be picking a place to have our reception at. I feel that after we lock down a place that means we have an official date and can get to all of the fun planning - decor, invites, music, food, etc.

My vision (I guess I should say our, but I'm sure you ladies know that most men are pretty relaxed about decor, etc.) includes a flower petal pathway, Shepard's hooks and pails full of flowers, eclectic plates I plan to collect at second hand stores, mason jars, lots of string lights, DIY tissue paper pom poms, DIY rustic wood signs, etc. As we had talked about this stuff prior to getting engaged, it seemed pretty clear that we would use someone's backyard and just rent a tent, chairs, tables, and a dance floor as we wanted an outdoor Shabby chic wedding. It was not only a pretty idea and open-ended for decor, but it was a cheaper alternative than an expensive venue.

The idea of an outdoor reception is still our main focus but we are now considering barns as well or a indoor venue that looks outdoor. This is because we do need to take weather into consideration. The problem with barns is that all of the wedding-designated ones are hours up north and we're not sure how to approach locally owned farms to see if they could use extra cash and would consider renting one out -- although this is something I am interested in pursuing as I've read it as a suggestion on another website. The other problem is that we could find an outdoor venue through places but it may run us a lot more cost wise. I say this because at venues, they typically require a specific catering cost which is per plate/head plus a facility fee. Although, paying for plate/head could make up for what we may pay for a tent/tables/chairs/dance floor at a park if the venue includes all dinnerware and tableware.


One of my biggest pet peeves is catering. This is one of the reasons we are being extremely indecisive right now when it comes to venue options. For a large number of wedding guest attendees, a buffet-style would be our choice. Frankly, the food I've tasted at wedding style buffets hasn't held to my personal high standards and expensive taste buds for the sole fact that if we are paying the ridiculous amount that catering charges I would like for it to taste like that. Slabs of ham, a bucket full of mashed potatoes, and some warmed up corn doesn't cut it for me personally. Also, I feel that catering doesn't allow enough creative freedom. There are things I want -- such as caramel apples with twigs for the sticks (to fit with the rustic, Shabby chic theme.) I just feel it would be much more delicious, just as pretty if not prettier, and mean more if we were able to get our family and friends to help us prepare our own menu.

What do you think? Do it outside so that I can have homemade food or consider a venue which requires a caterer?

No comments:

Post a Comment